Cast iron is great, but it can be made greater by seasoning it.
Importance of seasoning
The reason why I write this separate post on seasoning is because I think it is quite important to do. It helps with cooking. It makes cleaning easy. It prevents food from sticking. I have once tried to cook in a cast iron pan that had not been treated. I’d rather not try again. despite having read that it is possible and that you should just add enough grease to the pan an all that.
For me personally it doesn’t really work. So I season my pans very well. I prefer to do 4 layers, though many say 3 is enough. I’ve also read 1 or 2 is enough. But I really like a solid layer.
A seasoning layer is a non-stick layer. It’s absolutely amazing how it works. I can cook anything in my seasoned cast iron pans. I have a crepe pan and several others, including a wok. All of them are amazing and they do really really well under the strain of cooking for a large amount of people.
How do you do it
I’ll describe how to do it here. It is actually quite simple.
1. wash with hot soapy water.
2. dry really well
3. leave standing for about half an hour so that it air dries as well, so that you have really dry pans.
4. put a very very thin layer of flax seed oil onto the surface of your pan,
5. put upside down in your oven.
6. turn the oven on and get it to the highest temperature, mine is 230C / 450F / Gas Mark 8.
7. Once the oven is hot, time 1 hour.
8. Once the 1 hour is finished, leave the pans in the oven, with the door closed, to cool down.
9. Repeat from point 4 onwards until you have 3 to 4 layers on your pans.
As I’m running a coaching business I will talk about this bit as well.
If you would like to have an accountability buddy, I’m here for you. I do this for a living, so just let me know whether you would like some coaching, we can talk once a month. It doesn’t have to cost you an arm and a leg. You’ll have email support as well. Just have a look at what I have to offer.
Health Coaching might be right up your alley, or Children’s nutrition or Teenager nutrition. In case you are starting to introduce food to your baby then Introducing solids could be exactly what you want.
Here you go to the Coaching tab. There you can have a look at what I all have to offer you. There is something for everyone really.