This is a recipe that I use a lot. It is from Nourishing Traditions. You can find it on page 156. We all love it. It tastes great. It makes about 750 ml / 3 cups. So it is quite a bit that you end up with, but it freezes well. So this means you'll easily have some available.
Red Enchilada Sauce
- 120 grams chillies = 4 ounces
- 60 ml extra virgin olive oil = 1/4 cup
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 500 ml broth or stock, beef or chicken = 2 cups
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped alternatively use powder
- 350 grams tomato paste = 12 oz or 1 1/2 cup
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- sea salt to taste
- Heat up the olive oil in a pan, add the onions and saute for a few minutes. Add the cumin power and cook while stirring until well mixed. Add the broth / stock, chillies and bring to a boil, you may need to skim. Simmer.Whisk in garlic, vinegar and tomato paste and simmer for 45 minutes with a lid on. You can leave it a bit chunky, we do. Or put it in the blender or use the stick mixer.Season with salt to taste.